RELIGION

Dignity of the Human Person

Dignity

Baptism

Watch the following clips about Baptism. Post a response about three things that the clips had in common. Consider symbols, words and actions.

Connections to Other Nations
AusAId is an Australian Organisation that offers help to other countries around the world. what statistic (fact) was the most interesting to you? explain why it caught your attention.

The parable of the Lost Sheep

Watch the Katy Perry video for her song ‘Roar’ and talk about the lyrics in the chorus. Focus on ‘Eye of the Tiger’ and ‘I am a champion’. What does this mean? Why is she posing as a boxer?

Watch the clip for ‘Eye of the Tiger’ by Survivor and note the connection to boxing.

Watch the clip for ‘We are the Champions’ by Queen and, again, note the similarities to Katy Perry’s lyrics.

Give a little love

Watch the following clip.
How is this movie a symbol of Confirmation?
What is the message the director was trying to convey?
Is this message simple or challenging?
How would this same video look if it was filmed in your school?

Watch our version of the ‘Give a little love video’. We understand that we are always being watched, even if we don’t realise it. So we need to make sure what people see us do is how we want to be remembered. We want to be seen helping others without seeking a reward.
GIving a little love of our own! from Megan Williams on Vimeo.

Guy Sebastian ‘Get Along’

SPORTS KIDS OF THE YEAR

M y first thought was WOW, this boys is nine years of age and I want to be like him.

How has this brother embraced God’s call?

How has he shown strength?

How is he gentle?

Why should others know about this story?

Amy Purdy – Living Without Limits

Can you imagine not living as you are right now?
How does Amy’s story inspire you?
How can her determination to succeed, despite unrelenting obstacles, teach us in our own lives?
Does she give us a message about learning?
What does it mean to live without limits?

Watch this clip abut Ruth and respond by creating a spidergram as part of your Learning Contract.

http://youtu.be/o48GTsB31s0

25 thoughts on “RELIGION

1. Ms. Williams, I really enjoyed the ‘Give a little love’ clip and I found it super-inspiring. It reminded me of something that happened to me a few years ago.
    I was standing in line to collect my ticket at the theatre, and a lady came up to me and said ‘excuse me, can I just say how much I like your outfit? You look really lovely’. It completely made my day. I walked into that theatre smiling my head off. That lady didn’t need to go out of her way to compliment me, but she did, and I was so thrilled.
    A few weeks later, I was standing at the traffic lights, and a girl was standing next to me wearing a really cute dress. As I was admiring it, I remembered the lady at the theatre, and was inspired to say something.
    “Excuse me,” I said to the girl next to me, “I really love your dress. Where did you get it from?”
    She couldn’t remember where she’d purchased the dress, but she smiled and thanked me and walked off looking really happy.
    It was very hard for me to speak to a stranger, even to pay a simple compliment. I was scared that she would think I was a bit weird. And maybe she did! But my simple comment made her day brighter, which made my day brighter…and maybe the next time she saw someone wearing something she liked, she said something instead of keeping it to herself…and made their day brighter. And so on and so on…
    A kind word or gesture can change someone’s day, or even someone’s life. And it’s such an easy thing to do. I love the way your video clip shows this power, and tells us that random acts of kindness inspire other people to do the same. In the church they might call this ‘bearing witness’. Other people call it ‘paying it forward’.
    I’d love to hear examples of how our grade 5/6 students have made random acts of kindness, and what the results were.
    Thank you for sharing!

• HI Mrs Rutherford, thank you for sharing that with me. I know how hard it is to talk to a stranger for many people we’re afraid to say something in case the judge us.
      this video also reminded me of a time when I was younger. My dad is very good at helping other and I remember a time when I was about 8 and Dad had taken us to the local supermarket. as we were leaving to go home an elderly lady fell over some uneven concrete on the footpath. she cut her face and leg and was very badly bruised. Instead of just walking by Dad went to help her. he told my sisters and I to go into the shops and have the manager come out so he could then call the ambulance (because in those days we didn’t have mobile phones). then Dad sat with her and waited until the ambulance came and she was alright. He could have left her, he could have thought I have 3 girls I can’t look after anyone else. BUt he didn’t! it didn’t hurt him in any way to help another person and perhaps the most important thing he did was to doit in front of his children, who like the video, were watching him. I hope that I always pay that kindness forward.

2. Dear Grade 5/6 Z,
    We watched your video today on “Give a little love.”
    Here are some of our thoughts on the video.
    We liked your video. Neve
    I liked the end when all the people were helping. Talia
    Everyone was helping except those two boys at the end. Harry
    It was really nice when the boy left the paint for the girl. Sabina
    Your video choice was fantastic. Christian
    I liked the people helping. Gisele
    I liked when they were all painting the wall. George.

Thank you from the Preppies
    xoxo

3. WOW. Grade 5/6, I was really moved by your version of the Give a Little Love film clip. You really captured the truth that good deeds inspire more good deeds. You can all feel very proud of yourselves, for your clear communication of an important message, and for being spirit-filled people.

4. Both videos were fantastic – it reminded me of paying it forward! One doesn’t need to witness an act of kindness to actually do one. There are many ways of doing this, and what may seem ‘small’ to us may actually be a ‘big’ thing to someone else.

“Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.”
    ― William Arthur Ward

5. Hello Ms Williams and Grade 5/6’s,
    We liked watching your video on the Sports kid of the YEar.
    We will answer your question “How is Connor gentle?”
    “Won some money and the race for his brother” Neve
    “Because he was helping his brother for the race.” Harry
    “Because he is being kind to his brother and being gentle. ” Talia
    “Because he is caring and he helped his brother.’ Helena
    “He was pushing his brother gently in the race.” Sophie
    “He rode his bike so he could make sure his brother raised money.” Oliver
    “He went into the race to raise money for his brother.” Christian
    “He was pushing his brother gently.” Tiana

Thank you.
    Love the Preppies
    xoxo

6. Hi Ms William,

I like the Give a little love video, because it can inspire us to be better people in the world!! 🙂

Evie 🙂

7. Roar, Eye of The Tiger & We Are The Champions

‘Roar’ is a song sung by Katy Perry. ‘Eye of The Tiger’ is sung by Rocky. And ‘We Are The Champions is sung by Queen. ‘ In ‘Roar’ Katy sings the lyrics ‘I’ve got the eye of the tiger..’ and ‘Cause I am a champion’. These two lyrics are in the songs ‘Eye of The Tiger’ and We Are The Champions’. Each songs tell us a message and the message is, always staying strong and never giving up. Even if someone brings you down, just ignore them and stand up for yourself. Show everyone that you’re stronger then you look. And that you won’t care about ANYTHING anyone says about you. The connections that ‘Roar’ and ‘Eye Of The Tiger’ is that, they both relate to being a fighter and fighting for freedom and peace that you want away from negative things. ‘Roar’ and ‘We Are The Champions’ both show that, you are you. And being you, you’re a champion. Doesn’t matter what others say about you. You do what you want and believe what you want to believe.

8. 10

To me i think percedent is a strong word in religon me have been focusing on roar katy perry,qween and eye of the tiger. i think the main message of the three songes are to stay strong and not to give up because all the songs are sayong that you go through tuff times but you have to keep your head strait up because thats the best thing to do. these songes are really stronge and some things are the same about them and some things are really different about them.i have learnt not to give up so easily and to stay stronge because one day good things will happen to all of us if we are caring and think about each other not to be soo self fish and just think about your self because thats not the right thing to do.
    🙂 🙂

9. Hi Miss. Williams

Roar, Eye of The Tiger & We Are The Champions

P.S. I also have a video on my blog that I would like you too see and also I would like 5/6s to see it as well. Thank you. Its on my religion page. ☺

10. hi miss w ‘
    they were all very lovely
    I hope life keeps keeps on going on caringly respectfully and in a harmless way
    from tash

11. hi ms Williams,

the videos were interesting but the last video was weird drowning her is it a different style

12. Hi Miss Williams,

I watched the Baptism videos.
    I really enjoyed them.
    They were really interesting.

(: (: (: (:

13. I think it was really good and very interesting also I liked the second one. Also to let you know I like them all they were all very interesting.

14. Hey Ms Williams I watched the video of baby Cruze getting baptised. the priest poured water on the baby. The next video I watched was a adult getting baptised in a tiny pool she dipped her head in the water a few times and then got out of the water and hugged the priest and her friends.

by Ms Wiliams